Current:Home > MarketsSouth Africa’s du Plessis retains middleweight UFC title -Wealth Evolution Experts
South Africa’s du Plessis retains middleweight UFC title
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:20:32
PERTH, Australia (AP) — South African Dricus du Plessis took a flurry of body hits across four rounds before defeating Israel Adesanya by submission to retain his middleweight championship at UFC 305 on Sunday.
After scoring some early takedowns, du Plessis (22-2) had to withstand a flurry of body strikes from Adesanya through the middle rounds which appeared to be taking a toll on the 30-year-old South African as the fight progressed.
But a left hook followed by three rights helped bring Adesanya down which gave du Plessis the opening he wanted as he swiftly got the choke hold which forced the Nigerian-born New Zealander to tap out at 3:38 into the fourth round.
“This man is the king of getting back up,” du Plessis said of Adesanya, who was bidding to become a middleweight champion for the third time. “I’m still alive, that’s a bonus.
“I came here to die for this belt and to take a life. I’m still champion, baby.”
Tensions ahead of Sunday’s fight at the sold out RAC Arena at Perth, Australia had escalated after du Plessis, in response to Adesanya saying he’d take the belt back to Africa if he won, asked whether he would take his servants with him.
Despite the simmering animosity heading into the fight, which saw both fighters refrain from touching each others gloves at the start, the pair appeared to reconcile immediately after the contest.
“I’m really sorry that it came across that I disrespected the fact that he’s from Africa,” Du Plessis said. “That was never my intention. Africa would have won regardless, but tonight South Africa was the victor.”
It was the third time the South African has beat off challengers for the competitve middleweight division and second time this year after he won with a split decision over Sean Strickland in January at UFC 297.
Next in line for du Plessis is a return title-defense bout with Strickland at a date to be determined.
The 35-year-old Adesanya (24-4) was making his first appearance since returning from an 11-month sabbatical after losing the middleweight title by unanimous decision to Strickland in Sydney in September last year but said Sunday’s latest setback wasn’t career-ending.
“This is the best I’ve ever felt. I’m 35, I’m doing the right things. I’m not ... leaving,” he said.
Earlier, hometown favorite Steve Erceg’s was defeated by a first-round technical knock out in his flyweight bout with New Zealand’s Kai Kara-France. It was Erceg’s first fight since he was unanimously outpointed by champion Alexandre Pantoja at UFC 301 in Brazil in May.
___
AP sports: https://apnews.com/sports
veryGood! (9635)
Related
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Khloe and Kim Kardashian Hilariously Revisit Bag-Swinging Scene 16 Years Later
- Time's money, but how much? Here's what Americans think an hour of their time is worth
- Get Chic Kate Spade Crossbodies for 60% off (Plus an Extra 20%) & They’ll Arrive Before Mother’s Day
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Swarm of bees delays Dodgers-Diamondbacks game for 2 hours in Arizona
- Grizzly bears coming back to Washington state as some decry return of 'apex predator'
- Tom Sandoval, Andy Cohen comment on rumored 'Vanderpump Rules' summer hiatus
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Longtime Missouri basketball coach Norm Stewart entered into the Hall of Famous Missourians
Ranking
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Caitlin Clark, Maya Moore and a 10-second interaction that changed Clark's life
- Arizona will repeal its 1864 abortion ban. Democrats are still planning to use it against Trump
- Over 40% of Americans see China as an enemy, a Pew report shows. That’s a five-year high
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Say hello (again) to EA Sports College Football. The beloved video-game behemoth is back
- Orphaned bear cub seen in viral video being pulled from tree thriving after rescue, wildlife refuge says
- Texas school board accepts separation agreement with superintendent over student banned from musical
Recommendation
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
Exxon Criticized ICN Stories Publicly, But Privately, Didn’t Dispute The Findings
Caitlin Clark, Maya Moore and a 10-second interaction that changed Clark's life
Exxon Criticized ICN Stories Publicly, But Privately, Didn’t Dispute The Findings
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Luxury jewelry maker Cartier doesn’t give stuff away, but they pretty much did for one man in Mexico
Sword-wielding man charged with murder in London after child killed, several others wounded
Faceless people, invisible hands: New Army video aims to lure recruits for psychological operations